Education Commission of the States • 700 Broadway, Suite 810 • Denver, CO 80203-3442 • 303.299.3600 • Fax: 303.296.8332 •
Dual Enrollment: Institutional Reporting Requirement

This database indicates whether postsecondary institutions (or high school partners) are required to report (to a state agency and/or to the public) on the number, coursetaking, demographics and/or success of students participating in dual enrollment programs.

Why does it matter?
  • It is difficult, if not impossible, to conduct meaningful program evaluation without data on student demographics and performance.

  • Highlights
  • Eighteen states require postsecondary institutions to report on dual enrollment participation.
  • Thirty-one states do not have any such reporting requirements in state policy.
  • One state has separate reporting requirements for two- and four-year public institutions, but does not require institutions outside the public systems to report on dual enrollment participation.

  • Note: This database does not include information about Tech Prep or early/middle college high school programs. Information about such programs is included in the ECS career/technical education and early/middle college high school databases.

    Sources for all data points are accessible through this link.

    Methodology: This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites, and will be updated as new policies and programs are enacted.

    Last updated: October 1, 2008

    This database was compiled by Jennifer Dounay, project manager, ECS High School Policy Center. For questions, additions or corrections: 303.299.3689 or

    Institutional reporting requirement
    Alabama Not set in state policy
    Alaska Not set in state policy
    Arizona Yes. Every community college district and the Arizona board of regents must annually report to the president of the senate, speaker of the house and state board the number of dually enrolled students, "[a] general narrative of the types of courses or programs in which the students were enrolled" and the community college district board's dual enrollment policies.

    Every community college district must also annually report to the joint legislative budget committee:
  • Compliance with provisions related to evaluation and approval of courses, textbooks, syllabi, course outlines, grading standards and faculty
  • The number of participating students who were in grades 9-10
  • Total enrollments by location, by high school grade level, by course, and by whether the program was academic or occupational
  • Summary data on student performance in courses offered at high schools, including completion rates and grade distribution
  • Course level data on student performance in courses offered at high schools, including completion rates, grade distribution, and the number of students who received remedial instruction for the course.
  • A copy of each addendum of an agreement to offer community college courses at the high school
  • Summary data by community college district and by community college on the number of scholarships or grants awarded.
  • Itemized actual program costs for curriculum development and approval; textbook costs; facility and equipment costs; counseling and tutoring costs; teacher training and observation costs
  • Course level data indicating the entity that provided faculty, entity that provided faculty pay and the amount paid to each faculty member.

  • In addition, every community college district that offers dual enrollment courses in high schools must annually report a specified percentage of its initial dual enrollment agreements or contracts, which must specify financial provisions of the agreement and the format for billing of services, tuition and financial aid policies, accountability provisions for each party, responsibilities and services required of each party, the type of instruction provided under the agreement, including course titles and the quality of instruction to be provided under the agreement.
    Arkansas Not set in state policy
    California Not set in state policy
    Colorado Yes. Each district's accreditation summary must include the number and percentage of students enrolled in Postsecondary Enrollment Options, Fast Track or other local programs of dual credit or concurrent enrollment.
    Connecticut Not set in state policy
    Delaware Not set in state policy
    District of Columbia Not set in district policy
    Florida Not set in state policy
    Georgia Not set in state policy
    Hawaii Not set in state policy
    Idaho Not set in state policy
    Illinois Yes. Every superintendent must report to the state board of education the number of students in the district taking courses at any community college, along with the name and number of the course or courses that each such student is taking. The state board must annually assemble all such reported data, both by individual school district and by educational service region totals.
    Indiana Yes, for Postsecondary Enrollment Program. Each district (school corporation) must annually report to the department of education a list of students enrolled in the program, and the courses successfully completed by each student enrolled in the program.

    Yes, for Fast Track to College: Ivy Tech Community College must annually report to the education roundtable the number of program participants and diplomas granted while earning credits for a certificate program or an associate's degree. Vincennes University and any four-year institution participating in the program must report to the education roundtable the number of program participants and diplomas granted.

    In addition, the Indiana concurrent enrollment partnership is required to report annually to the department of education and the commission for higher education on the following for early college, dual credit and dual enrollment programs:
  • An assessment of the academic standards required by the programs
  • Student performance under the programs
  • College attainment for students enrolled in the programs
  • Program costs
  • Student demand for the programs
  • Demographic information for students in the programs
  • The cost of, access to, and ease of transfer of courses in the programs.
  • Iowa Yes. 2008 legislation directs the state board, in collaboration with the board of directors of each community college, to adopt rules that clearly define data and information elements to be collected related to Postsecondary Enrollment Options and Concurrent Enrollment courses. The data elements must include the following:
  • The course title and whether the course supplements, rather than supplants, a school district course.
  • An unduplicated enrollment count of eligible students participating in the program.
  • The actual costs and revenues generated for concurrent enrollment. An aligned unique student identifier system must be established by the department for K-12 and community college students.
  • Degree, certifications, and other qualifications to meet the minimum hiring standards.
  • Salary information including regular contracted salary and total salary.
  • Credit hours and laboratory contact hours and other data on instructional time.
  • Other information comparable to the data regarding teachers collected in the basic education data survey.

    All postsecondary institutions providing postsecondary courses to high school students must include the unique student identifier assigned to students in the K-12 system as a part of the institution's student data management system. Postsecondary institutions must cooperate with the department on data requests related to the programming, and must collect data and report to the department on the proportion of females and minorities enrolled in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics-oriented educational opportunities provided. The department must submit the programming data and the department's findings and recommendations to the general assembly annually by January 15.
  • Kansas Yes. According to the board of regents policy manual, "The Regents System will track students who have participated in concurrent enrollment partnerships and other forms of concurrent enrollment." Institutions must report the following for the Kansas Postsecondary Database:
  • Directory information for each high school student enrolled
  • Credit hours generated by each high school student
  • Credentials of faculty teaching CEP courses
  • CEP credit hours generated by each high school student.

  • Every other year, public postsecondary institution must provide the board of regents with a list of high schools involved in "Concurrent Enrollment Partnership (CEP)" agreements (in which high school faculty teach college courses). For each institution, the board of regents will select up to two high schools for reporting. For each high school chosen, each institution will submit the following:
  • Copy of the CEP agreement including (but not limited to) the implementation plan for professional development of instructors of CEP students and the student guide for CEP students
  • The report resulting from the review of CEP courses by postsecondary faculty and dates of most recent review of all CEP courses, aggregated by discipline.

  • Each institution must also forward to the board of regents a copy of the report resulting from the institutional review of CEPs to be conducted at least every five years.

    All reports will be reviewed for compliance and the results will be reported by 2010.

    Kentucky Yes. Postsecondary institutions report student participation in dual enrollment courses each year, by type of institution (two-year, four-year, independent) and by individual institution. Data not reported on dual credit participation.
    Louisiana Yes, for both programs. TOPS Tech Early Start: Postsecondary institutions must include TOPS Tech Early Start students as they would traditional college students: Upon request by the Louisiana Student Financial Assistance Commission, the institution must report admission and full-time undergraduate enrollment;  eligibility for, or enrollment in, a course of study leading to initial teacher certification; enrollment in math or chemistry as a major while pursuing teacher certification; graduate or undergraduate enrollment in wildlife forestry or marine science; semester hours attempted; semester hours earned; semester quality points earned; and resignation from the institution or withdrawal from all courses.

    The board of regents, in consultation with the Louisiana Student Financial Assistance Commission, must annually report to the governor and house and senate education committees before each legislative session on the program. The report must include a written review and analysis of Early Start Award use by students, the benefits of such use, and the impact on subsequent use by students of TOPS-Tech awards.

    Early Start: Each participating postsecondary institution must report student level outcome data to the board of regents according to specifications defined by the board of regents.
    Maine Not set in state policy
    Maryland Not set in state policy
    Massachusetts Not set in state policy
    Michigan Yes. Every intermediate school district must annually collect from each of its constituent school districts and report to the department:
  • The amount of money expended by the school district for tuition payments required by the postsecondary enrollment options act and the career and technical preparation act.
  • The number of eligible students enrolled in the district and the number of those students who enrolled in one or more postsecondary or career/technical courses and received payment of all or part of eligible charges, both in the aggregate and by grade level.
  • The percentage of the school district's enrollment represented by the eligible students and eligible students who participated on postsecondary enrollment options and the career and technical preparation program, both in the aggregate and by grade level.
  • The total number of postsecondary and career/technical courses for which the school district made payment
  • The number of those courses for which postsecondary credit was granted
  • The number of those courses for which high school credit was granted
  • The number of those courses that were not completed by the eligible student.

  • The department must annually submit to the house and senate fiscal agencies and the department of management and budget a summary annual report on the information received from intermediate school districts.

    In addition, if a district wants all of its schools to be accredited, it must report annually to the state board, including on the number and percentage of students in each high school who enrolled in one or more postsecondary courses the previous school year and two school years ago.
    Minnesota Not set in state policy
    Mississippi Not set in state policy
    Missouri Yes. "All institutions offering dual credit courses are required to report annually to the CBHE such things as the number of sections offered; the number of students enrolled (duplicated headcount) per high school; the total by class (year in high school); the number of high schools served by dual credit and the number of sections in each; the student credit-hour production (total for all dual credit and total per high school); the number of sections offered in mathematics, science, social sciences, and humanities; and summary data on the performance of dual credit students. ... Dual credit data will be submitted to the CBHE when the institution submits its annual Performance Indicators Report."
    Montana Not set in state policy
    Nebraska Not set in state policy
    Nevada Not set in state policy
    New Hampshire Not set in state policy
    New Jersey Not set in state policy
    New Mexico Yes. Districts must annually report to the public education department and postsecondary institutions must report to the higher education department (1) the number of students enrolled in dual credit classes, (2) the courses taken and (3) grades earned by each dual credit student.

    The public education department must annually report to the legislature high school graduation rates for dual credit students. The higher education department must report to the legislature on the New Mexico postsecondary institutions dual credit students ultimately attend. The higher education department and the public education department must annually report to the legislature the estimated cost of providing the statewide dual credit program, including tuition, fees, textbooks and course supplies.
    New York Not set in state policy
    North Carolina Not set in state policy
    North Dakota Not set in state policy
    Ohio Yes. The department of education collects and reports student Post-Secondary Enrollment Options participation levels in terms of public students by district, nonpublic students by school, and public and nonpublic students by postsecondary institution. As of September 2008, information was posted for fiscal year 2001 through fiscal year 2007.

    As of September 2008, the department has not yet determined the reporting mechanism for Seniors to Sophomores. Districts will submit a mid-year report and a final report to the Board of Regents.
    Oklahoma Not set in state policy
    Oregon Yes. Each district must annually report to the department of education on most of the indicators listed below. The department of education must annually report on the Expanded Options Program to the joint boards of education and the house and senate education committees. The report must include:
  • The types of accelerated college credit programs offered.
  • The number of waivers of requirements granted under the Expanded Options Program and the reasons for issuance of the waivers.
  • The number of college and high school credits earned under the Expanded Options Program.
  • The estimated college tuition cost savings for students participating in the Expanded Options Program.
  • The number of students who had dropped out of high school but returned to high school to participate in the Expanded Options Program and earned a diploma.
  • The number of students who participated in the Expanded Options Program, disaggregated by race/ethnicity and income level.
  • The number of talented and gifted students who participated in the Expanded Options Program.
  • The level of participation in the Expanded Options Program by rural communities, and the number of students living in rural communities who participated in the program.
  • The number of appeals of students under ORS 340.030 to the superintendent of public instruction or the superintendent's designee and the disposition of the students' appeals.
  • The number of small school districts with more eligible students who wish to participate in the program than are allowed under the credit hour caps established in ORS 340.080.
  • Pennsylvania Yes. Districts and area vocational-technical schools that receive a concurrent enrollment grant must submit an annual report to the department. The report must indicate:
  • The eligible postsecondary institution(s) partnering in the program.
  • The number of concurrent students participating.
  • The approved courses offered through the program.
  • The total approved cost for each concurrent course.
  • The total amount of grant funds received.
  • The number of concurrent students who are enrolled in charter, nonpublic, private or home school programs.

  • Using information provided by districts and area vocational-technical schools, the department must develop an annual report, to be submitted to the chairs and minority chairs of the house and senate appropriations and education committees.
    Rhode Island Not set in state policy
    South Carolina Yes. Each institution must "develop an annual report on dual enrollment offerings that demonstrates compliance with" state guidelines "for each dual enrollment course offered to high school students." The commission on higher education must in turn publish an annual report on dual enrollment offerings by South Carolina public postsecondary institutions.
    South Dakota Not set in state policy
    Tennessee Not set in state policy
    Texas Yes. Districts must annually report to the Texas Education Agency the number of students who have participated in the college credit program (including dual credit, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, etc.), the number of courses in which students have enrolled and the college credit hours students have earned.
    Utah Yes. The state board must publish an annual school performance report that provides specified data for every public school, and aggregated at the district and state level. The report must include data on the number of students taking concurrent enrollment courses, and the number and percent of those students who receive college credit for the course.

    Every district must submit an annual report to the state office of education indicating the supervisory services and professional development provided by the postsecondary partner, and noting that all concurrent enrollment instructors are in compliance with R277-713-7B and C.

    Vermont Not set in state policy
    Virginia Yes. High schools' School Performance Report Cards must include the percentage of students who take college-level courses, including dual enrollment courses.
    Washington Not set in state policy
    West Virginia Not set in state policy. While each institution offering college credits for high school students must maintain records of dual enrollment courses and enrollments, reports of such information must be submitted only "as deemed necessary."
    Wisconsin Partial. No reporting requirements exisit for private or tribal colleges.

    University of Wisconsin system schools (both 2- and 4-year) must comply with University of Wisconsin System reporting requirements.

    Technical college districts must annually compile for the technical college system board that indicates the number of high school students attending a technical college of the district. The following information must be disaggregated by students in the Youth Options program and students under compulsory school attendance:
  • The student's social security number or other unique identifiable number
  • The student's name and birth date
  • The student's school district of enrollment and school district of residence
  • The student's highest secondary school grade completed
  • Except for students completing advanced standing courses, the technical college district course or courses the student completed and the amount of postsecondary credit awarded, if any.
  • If applicable, the student's year of high school graduation.

    The technical college system board must submit an annual report to the department of administration, department of children and families, department of public instruction, department of workforce development and the legislature. The report must indicate the number of people who earned technical college credit through the Youth Options program, the courses given in high schools for which a pupil may receive technical college credit and the number of students enrolled in the courses for technical college credit in the previous school year.
  • Local school districts must include youth options courses in yearly course offering reports.

    Wyoming Not set in state policy

    © 2013 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education.
    To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please fax a request to the attention of the ECS Communications Department, 303.296.8332 or e-mail
    Helping State Leaders Shape Education Policy